Caribbean Chicken, Beans and Sweet Potatoes
This slow-cooker gem packs Caribbean flavor into a healthy and high-fiber stew. It takes just a few minutes to put in the slow cooker, and a few hours of cooking does the rest.
TOTAL TIME:6 hours, 15 min.
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large yam or sweet potato, peeled and cut into Ā¾ā€¯ pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (20 oz.) boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1ā€¯ pieces
- 1 Tbsp. Caribbean jerk seasoning
- Ā½ tsp. salt
- Ā½ cup green onions, sliced
- Ā¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Hot cooked brown rice or other whole grains
- Plain Greek yogurt, if desired
- Chopped roasted peanuts, if desired
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together peppers, yam, onion, garlic, salsa, beans, chicken, seasoning and salt.
Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or high 3-4 hours or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165Ā°F and is no longer pink in center, and yams are tender.
Stir in green onions and cilantro. Serve in bowls over brown rice. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and peanuts.